Ten ways in which Proxima b differs from Earth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ten ways in which Proxima b differs from Earth

Post by Admin on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:35 pm

I've been quite interested  in this newly discovered planet in the habitable zone, lately so many planets have been discovered, mostly thanks to the Hubble telescope, ive even heard of a newly discovered planet that is made up mostly of water!

I've tuned into the sky at night sometimes and what I found fascinating was that any plant life which could possibly exist on Proxima b could be of a much different colour as to the shades of green here on earth, some astrophysical experts say some plant life (if any) could be grey/black in colour due to different climates , as well as Proxima by not having an axis on which to rotate like earth, one side of Proxima would constantly be baked in the sun ...while the other would be cold & dark.

Experts say however that the heat from the baked sun facing side would distribute around the entire planet of Proxima b, possibly levelling temperature out, I guess it's way too premature to tell for sure, but experts say that the universe is simply growing all the time, it's mind d boggling really to think that some planets and entire galaxies are millions of light years away  from another, given the fact there are around 6 trillion miles in one light year!

I suppose that would equate to our moon being similar in space distance as a trip to the corner shop for us!

Well the moon only being around 240,000 miles from Earth.

Fascinating & mind blowing , maybe one day a planet very similar to ours in the habitable zone will be found, with roughly the same orbitary period , distance from sun & that can sustain life as well as have water & a ton of other essential similar factors to support human life.

Amazing.

https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/ten-ways-proxima-b-is-different-than-earth-9110a441baca#.xoh3z8sbr
Admin
Admin

http://order-order.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Ten ways in which Proxima b differs from Earth

Post by alakazam on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:28 pm

I don't exactly see how this helps our everyday life. There is no way any human will live on another planet in this century.

alakazam

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:44 pm

alakazam wrote:I don't exactly see how this helps our everyday life. There is no way any human will live on another planet in this century.

I totally agree with you Ala, in fact I can't see it happening even in th next few centuries , if even then.

If it happens it will be a very long time from now, but it's still extra exciting stuff for astrophysics , NASA etc now.
Admin
Admin

http://order-order.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by alakazam on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:25 pm

Personally, I find astronomy a bit useless. We should be focusing on other science branches, such as medicine.

alakazam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top